Sunday, November 16, 2008

Who, me?

Do Americans live within their means? Most believe they do (whether they actually do, or not). For example, 78% of First Globals™ say they live within their means and 89% of those over 65 say so as well. Is there anybody that doesn’t? Yes: Most other Americans. In the same survey, 88% of First Globals™ disagreed with the statement that “most Americans live within their means”. And, remarkably, just 4% are ‘not sure’ about this issue.

Are Americans too easy on themselves conveniently redefining frugal livings to fit their own behavior? Or are they too harsh on others because consumption is more conspicuous than saving? Perhaps, when answering questions about themselves, people rely on their own experiences, while, when answering questions about others they draw on many times repeated clichés about waste and over-spending. What is your view?

2 comments:

Vanek26 said...

I would be interested in seeing the results of a survey question that asked people to pick what best describes living within their means for them, as I am not sure most are on the same page when it comes to defining living within their own means.

I consider myself to be a very simple person. I do not need the latest and greatest gadgets to find fulfillment and happiness in my life. What I do purchase tends to last me a long time. I am more concerned with cutting debt and expenses than I am "keeping up with the Joneses." I have had many friends tell me I should treat myself once and awhile. The funny thing is, these are the friends who keep up with trends and the latest and greatest gadgets. To me, they are not living within their means, but I have a feeling they think they are. Defining living within my needs is fine for myself, but I am not so sure we can do the same for others from our own point of view.

Anonymous said...

I think most americans live beyond their means because they expect much. But that is beginning to change as we now realize it is maybe not the best thing for everyone in America and China and India and Brazil to have a car and a house filled with products.

In light of a global financial crisis, I think many americans see it is a burden for us and creating a burden for the world to be in debt and continue to buy in excess.