Thursday, November 6, 2008

liar liar!

In our survey, we put a few “trick questions” from what psychologists call “the lie scale” or “social desirability scale.” They consist of statements, such as “I have never been irked when people expressed ideas very different from my own,” which offer respondents a possibility to present themselves in a positive light at the price of saying what cannot possibly be true.

Overall, about a half of people tend to give socially desirable answers, but our data also show a clear pattern of an increasing tendency to give socially desirable answers as age increases. On question after question, the older respondents were increasingly more likely to say what they were “supposed” to say instead of what may be their true feelings. For example, First Globals are the most likely of all age groups to agree that they are sometimes irritated by people who ask favors from them - 56.8% compared to 36.5% of older generations.

Some would say that this means that younger people are more likely to be straight shooters and call it like it is. Others would say that young people are more egoistic and do not feel the pressure to even appear polite. Which view is closer to yours?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe age does have a lot to do with ones willingness to be a "straight shooter".

I recently spoke with one of my neighbors about the election. We live in a heavily republican area. She commented on how she wished she was brave enough to put up an Obama sign in her yard, as I had in mine. It just so happened that I was also wearing my Obama T-Shirt. She was so excited with the results of the election, and was upset she had to keep it to herself. She didnt want any of our neighbors to think bad about her.

Unknown said...

Addition to my comment above:

I am in my mid-twenties, and my neighbor is in her late thirties.

Anonymous said...

Your neighbors might forgive you ("he is just a kid") what they wouldn't forgive her.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind people expressing there opinion or ideas as long as they are willing to listen to mind and not jump down my throat. I am 56 and had two Obama stickers on my bumper. One for me and one for my sister, who couldn't put one on her car for fear of retaliation from people she works with. I always try to be tactful when talking with someone, and try to see their viewpoint, but it doesn't always work.

Anonymous said...

While most people have been bothered by comments that differ from their personal belief, there are those that have truly never been irked when people expressed ideas very different from my own”. Some people actually enjoy hearing opposing views. If everyone shared the same opinions, life would cease to be interesting. Therefore, it is not a question of "what cannot possibly be true", but what is UNLIKELY to be true.

Anonymous said...

When did spouting off at the mouth become straight shooting? Straight shooting doesn’t imply a lack of tact. It has always been my understanding that straight shooting was more about being honest, not hurtful. I find many young Americans to lack tact and the critical thinking required to look at a situation objectively – something that comes with experience and time. So many times people questioned my beliefs because they didn’t align with their own, as if I must be wrong. Beliefs are a funny thing though because there isn’t always a right and wrong. This is a life lesson one learns with time and too often youth have not had the life experiences required to understand it fully.

Anonymous said...

"Therefore, it is not a question of "what cannot possibly be true", but what is UNLIKELY to be true."

But, from what I get, the question was "I was ****never*** irked by people expressing the views different from my own". This means not that you do not enjoy people with different views but that during all your life you were NEVER irked by them. Now, that is VERY unlikely.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it is age per se, or an older American culture of avoidance of conflict in conversation. Younger Americans witness popular culture that is totally in-your-face, and sneers at politeness. With Baby Boomers in the middle always referring to the Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet families with derision. But families were actually polite and respectful and intact back in the 1950s and beyond.

Anonymous said...

But can't you be polite yet admit that "yes, sometimes I am irked by people who ask favors of me"?