Friday, November 21, 2008

Shop 'till you drop

When asked which department store they would select if they could only shop at one department store for the rest of their life, First Globals™ are the most likely of any generation to say Target and the least likely of any generation to say Wal-Mart. More than a third (35.6%) of First Globals™ selected Target as the one store they would shop at for the rest of their life, compared to 25.6% of those 30-49, 15.5% of those 50-64, and 8.9% of those over 65. With Wal-Mart, the reverse pattern is found: 21.2% of First Globals™ selected Wal-Mart, compared to 26.1% of those 30-49, 27% of those 50-64, and 29.3% of those over 65.

Target and Wal-Mart carry similar merchandise and both tout their low prices, so what do you think accounts for the discrepancy? Has Target successfully marketed itself to better appeal to younger shoppers? How? Or do you think there is a difference in the quality or kinds of things for sale at Target and Wal-Mart? And where would you shop if you could only shop at one store for the rest of your life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that even though Target and Wal-Mart sell a lot of the same things, the stores are very different. Target stores feel well-organized and their ads are more interesting and unique. Wal-Mart feels chaotic and crowded and their ads use country music and various other things that make me feel like I am not the intended demographic. Realistically, though, hen i need to shop I'll go to whichever one happens to be closer. And I'd actually pick Amazon.com for the store I'd shop at for the rest of my life, because they really do have everything and I don't need to fight the crowds to shop there.

Anonymous said...

The particular Target and Wal-mart stores in my area don't carry similar merchandise. Wal-mart is geared towards selling food and that is the main reason why i go there.

Vanek26 said...

"And where would you shop if you could only shop at one store for the rest of your life?"

I do have a few favorite stores I like to shop, but when I think about it...Bath & Body Works would drive me crazy if I just shopped there the rest of my life. The salespeople pounce before you even set foot in the store. I love their products, but they push too much. I think I could shop JCPenneys the rest of my life. Everything always seems to be on sale. I get so many coupons in the mail. I don't think I ever paid full price for any of the clothes or shoes I own. The salespeople never bother me. It's like heaven!

As far as Wal-Mart is concerned, Jeff Dunham's ornery puppet Walter put it best. "Welcome to Wal-Mart...Get your @#$! and GET OUT!" Yes, I too like the low food prices, but everytime I go there I feel like I am in a rat race. The aisles are so small. Everything you seem to really want is out of stock. Target has somewhat bigger aisles, and doesn't seem as crowded. If Target only had a food selection like Wal-Mart...I would probably never set foot in Wal-Mart again.